Saturday, May 24, 2008

Vinegared Lotus Roots (Su Renkon)

Read about a recipe on cooking lotus roots in vinegar.

I thought this would be an interesting recipe. I never have thought of cooking in that way! Anyway, I decided to give it a try.

I searched through the web for some recipe. 
Interestingly, I got to know the Japanese name for Vinegared Lotus Roots is Su Renkon. 
Renkon is lotus roots while Su is rice vinegar in Japanese.

Found recipe on several website. But this is the one I followed closely.

http://www.valentine.gr/recipes_aquatic2_en.php

Ingredients
1 section (10 inch) Lotus root
1/4 tsp. MSG     *Optional  and I omitted
1/4 cup. water
1/4 cup. thinly sliced abalone   *I omitted
1/3 cup. vinegar
1/4 cup. thinly sliced carrots
3 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp. salt

Procedure
Peel lotus root and slice crosswise thinly.
In a sauce pan, combine water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and MSG; bring to a boil.
Add lotus root and cook 4 to 5 minutes until clear and transparent.
Remove from heat; gently mix in abalone and carrots.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds; chill.
Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...