Thursday, March 10, 2016

Watching Solar Eclipse 9 March 2016


I was excited about viewing the solar eclipse. Finally, I got to put the pinhole camera I made 2 years ago to use again! This time it was to view the solar eclipse. I was pretty fortunate this time that my flat faces East and hence my room gets the morning sun every morning. As the eclipse was to happen in the morning, I was pretty happy to do a simple set up using just 2 chairs and the pinhole camera. A plain paper was stuck at the back of the box to capture the image more clearly. Unfortunately, Little One was in school and could not view it personally herself. However, I took a series of photos as best as I could to capture the eclipse so that I could show to her later. The peak of the eclipse happened around 8:23am. The sky was dimmer than usual during this period of time.

A image is captured at the back of the box
Inverted images of the pinhole
At around 823am



When the sun was behind the cloud, I took a photo of it. I was taking a photo looking at the angle of my camera, not at the image it was capturing, I just snapped a couple of picture and hope that I caught some image that I want. I don't know why there was a crescent reflection near the top right hand corner. Could someone explain if you know the answer?

Caution:
Don’t:
  • Don’t look directly at the sun, even with sunglasses on, or through a telescope, binoculars, camera or camera-phone. Even if you are just lining up the projection, this still puts you at risk
Do:
  •  Use a pinhole projection method. 
  •  Use glasses with specially designed solar filters (bearing the appropriate CE mark) if you have to view the eclipse directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...