Thursday, August 7, 2014

The National Pledge- Little One's version

Little One suddenly said "democratic" as she was doing her homework at home. I was sure that the word "democratic" did not appear in it as I was the one giving her the homework. Instantly, I knew her teachers in school must have taught her The National Pledge and I asked her to recite to me.

This was her version. It was her first exposure to the Pledge and I don't blame her for mispronouncing but it does sound senseless and probably a little hilarious.

We, the sillizens of Singapore,
pledge ourselves as united people,
regardless of praise, oranges  or orange juice,
to build a democratic society...
... ...
so as achieve happiness, aspiraty, and
program for our nation.

After hearing, I couldn't stop laughing. I had to correct her.

The National Pledge 
Actual version
We, the citizens of Singapore,
pledge ourselves as one united people,
regardless of race, language or religion,
to build a democratic society
based on justice and equality
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
progress for our nation.

Chinese version



我们是新加坡公民,
誓愿不分种族、言语、宗教,
团结一致,
建设公正平等的民主社会,
并为实现国家之幸福、繁荣与进步,
共同努力。
The National Pledge was written by Sinnathamby Rajaratnam in 1966 shortly after Singapore's independence. It was polished by Mr Lee Kuan Yew before submitting it to the Cabinet.
I still feel proud reciting the pledge. Little One could recite with improvement. At least, citizens are no longer sillizens.

Happy birthday, Singapore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...