Friday, August 24, 2012

Yummy Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

Blueberries is one of my favourite food. If I could have it my way, I would eat lots of them, probably the whole package of blueberries (125g) if they weren't so expensive in Singapore. The ones that I recently bought cost S$3.25 from the Netherlands.

Usually, I would share these precious berries with my little kid. Blueberries are full of antioxidants which are good for the body. Someone also told me that blueberries is good for the brain, especially developing kids. Due to that very reason, sometimes, I do sacrifice my own serving just for the little one.

My favourite use of blueberries is to eat them raw with yogurt, toss them into a bowl of fruit salad.
Otherwise, I'll just make blueberry puree for bread. However, blueberries is listed under the dirty dozen list. Hence, I usually buy organic. If I intend to cook them, I will go for the non-organic ones.

I am very happy to share this recipe from Nami, Just One Cookbook.

The frozen yogurt was a hit in my family. It tasted like Yami Yogurt according to my hubby. The only minus point was it tasted a little icy when we took out from the freezer. I am not sure why but I think it's due to the fact I stored it overnight. After thawing a while, however, it felt creamy, just like the texture of ice cream.



Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

Recipe slightly modified from Just One Cookbook!

Ingredients: ( 3 to 4 servings)
  • 1½ cup (250g) blueberries
  • ½ cup sugar 
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • a pimch of salt
  • 3/4 cup Greek Yogurt
  • ½ cup milk 

Procedure:-
  1. Combine blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt in a saucepan.
  2. Heat them up in medium heat. 
  3. Stir till sugar dissolve. 
  4. Use a potato masher to mash the berries up. ( I use the ladle.) If you want a smoother texture, blend the blueberries before cooking.
  5. Let it cool for 20 minutes. 
  6. Stir in the yogurt and milk until incorporated
  7. Chill the mixture in the fridge for several hour. ( I only chill for 3-4 hr.)
  8. Transfer mixture to container and put in freezer. Stir twice every 1.5 hr t break up the ice.
  9. Stir every half hour after that vigorously until it is creamy enough to serve.
Note: the first 4 step is also use to make blueberry jam. 


Step 1

Step 2 and 3

Step 4

Step 6

Serving it like a bunch of grapes.
My girl loves this so much that when we are eating from the tub till almost finishing, she asked me to go away because she wants to finish it all by herself!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Lilium! You and I are very similar! I love blueberries so much too - luckily I'm in California that I can get pretty good price for blueberries in summer time, but my mom who is also crazy for blueberries told me how expensive blueberries are in Japan. I still sacrifice my own serving for my kids sometimes too, especially now blueberries are getting expensive. Your story is very similar to mine. Thanks for trying this recipe. Mine got icy too after awhile but I always leave it out a little bit before I serve and it becomes like typical Frozen Yogurt texture. I miss eating this already. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nami, thank you again for the great recipe! The moment I saw you post it, I tell myself that I must make it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...