Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Peanut Butter DIY project and what you can do with it.

I love peanut butter but have been resisting eating it since most store bought ones have a lot more salt and other additives. Thanks to Food For Tots, I finally got the recipe to make my very own peanut butter. It's just so simple.
I follow her recipe exactly except that I omitted the sugar and put lesser Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO).
I have some leftover peanuts which I used to make soup. I used them anyway.


Peanut Butter


Recipe adapted from Food for Tots
Here's the Recipe:-

Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups raw peanut
  • 1 to 1.5 tbsp peanut oil or any vegetable oil (I used EVOO)
  • ½ tsp salt 

Procedure:-

  1. Rinse peanuts and pat dry with paper towels and leave to air dry. 
  2. Heat up the frying pan with low heat and dry fry (ie fry without oil) until fragrant and skin turns to a darker brown. This takes about 15 minutes for me. Allow the nuts to cool.
  3. Peel the skin away.
  4. Blend the nuts. If you have a powerful blender, you can blend all of them together. I did mine in 3 batches
  5. Scrape the side as and when needed.
  6. Add in salt and EVOO bit by bit when the nuts become sticky. Continue to process till it become smooth. Taste the peanut butter and adjust seasoning to your liking.
  7. Pour into a container. If you are not using immediately, you may store in the fridge.

Air drying

Dry frying peanuts at the back. The ready nuts are cooling down in the bowl .
My little one helping to peel the nuts
We had fun asking little one to pick the nuts from the heap of peanut skin.

Changes of the nuts during the blending process. Add the  seasoning at point 4.

My completed peanut butter!

Peanut butter can be an ingredient for other recipes, such as to make peanut filling for Tang yuan (a chinese dessert), make a cake, some biscuits or even some ice cream.
I used some of my newly made peanut butter for the making of Tang yuan with peanut fillings. Also, to compliment my freshly made plain pancakes the next morning. I probably will blog again on peanut butter recipe.

Are you aware that peanut butter has other uses? Below are other uses of peanut butter which I have yet to try. I have tabulated off from the web.

Gummy Hair

You can massage a generous dollop of peanut butter into the gummy mess. Allow the peanut butter to remain in the hair for about five minutes, then wipe off the mess from the hair with a paper towel. Wash your hair to remove the peanut butter smell. The same technique can also be used to remove gum from rugs and carpets.

Sticky Labels

Most children love stickers. Chances that stickers are being pasted all over the house. How to get rid of the sticker residue (which can be unsightly) after you tried peeling them away? The remedy is to apply peanut butter on the affected area and leave for about 5 minutes. Wipe the peanut butter away.

If you are trying to remove the sticker goo from your children's clothing which you have accidentally washed their clothes without realising the stickers are on.them. Not to worry, apply laundry detergent on the residue, then apply peanut butter for a few hours and brush off the residue. This is followed by normal laundry. Repeat as necessary until adhesive is removed. I was stuck in this situation before, I hadn't have any peanut butter as mention I don't buy them. I apply olive oil instead. But note some delicate / sensitive fabric may become stain after these mentioned application.

Fishy Smell

Eliminate the fishy smell from your home next time you fry fish. Add a dollop of peanut butter to the pan as soon as you remove the fried fish. Allow it to fry for a minute or two. The peanut butter will absorb the fishy smell.

Mouse Trap

Bait mouse traps with peanut butter. Mice will be attracted by the sweet scent, and they won't be able to abscond with the peanut butter without setting off the trap. 

Pet Medications

Hide your pet's pill in a dab of peanut butter. Dogs and cats love the taste of peanut butter, so they'll never notice the pill buried inside. I wonder though whether they will choke on the peanut butter instead? :P

Butter Substitute

Use peanut butter for baked goods or sauce recipes that call for butter. The peanut butter will add a subtle nutty flavor.

Edible Playdough

Mix up a batch of edible playdough for young artists. Combine a cup of peanut butter with two cups of powdered sugar and half a cup of honey. Store the playdough in a zip seal bag or an airtight container when it isn't in use. However, come to think of it, I think I won't want to waste my PB, especially my homemade ones on making dough, I prefer to spread them on my bread. :) We have cheaper alternative of making edible playdough.

Shaving

You can shave using creamy peanut butter as a substitute for shaving cream. It contains oil and help lubricate your skin. Hmmm... I wonder whether it works the same way for sensory play? :P I assume it would clog up your razor and leave the skin pretty oily. Now, I worry about pimples.

Scratched DVDs & CDs

Apply a little of the creamy peanut butter onto the scratched disk and wipe away with dry cloth

Glue removal

Rub some peanut butter and wipe away with paper towel.

Now that I have shared my peanut butter DIY project, do you have any peanut butter recipe to share with me?

Note :For people with a peanut allergy, peanut butter can cause reactions, including anaphylactic shock

2 comments:

  1. Never know there are so many uses for peanut butter. But I still prefer eat it than use it. Anyway, thanks for the mention. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...