Sunday, August 12, 2012

Not giving up!!! I want to make sugarless banana walnut cake!

I failed to make the carrot, pumpkin cake for my girl. Nevertheless, I am not giving up and I am trying something new. Steaming on a frying pan! This is not my idea actually. I got this idea when I read Nami's  Just One Cookbook, she was steaming cakes in it. So I thought of doing the same. If you are into sugarless cake, you may want to try the below recipe. Otherwise, you may want to add 2 tablespoon of sugar when you are beating the egg.

Steaming cakes in a frying pan


Sugarless Banana Walnut Cake


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (75g) all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda 
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup of yogurt
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 big ripe banana or 2 small ones ( I used 1 small one and the cake is not sweet)
  • handful of chopped baked walnut
Below method is to prepare for 4 mini steamed cakes

Ingredients

Procedure:-
My batter
  1. Chopped the walnuts. 
  2. Set up the frying pan and boil the water over medium high heat.
  3. Mash the bananas.
  4. Whisk the flour, baking soda in a big bowl using fork for about 20 times. Otherwise sift them.
  5. Then beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add the oil and yogurt and whisk them together.
  6. Combine the two mixture and fold in the mashed banana and chopped walnuts. You may want to reserve 4 pieces of walnut to decorate the top of your cakes
  7. Spoon the batter into the 4 prepared foil/ ramekins cups that are lined with paper liners
  8. Put one chopped walnut onto each cup batter.  
  9. Place all 4 foils/ ramekin cups into frying pan (make sure the water is boiling) and steam for 10 min (depending on size of the steam cake, it can be anywhere between 8 min to 15 min)
  10. Use a toothpick or skewer to test whether the cake is ready.
  11. Once it's done, take the cakes out and allow to cool.
Steaming in a frying pan, I can see through the glass cover
Well, one reason for using the frying pan is that I can see through the glass cover whether the cakes are rising. I was quite amazed and worried when I saw my aluminium foils cups 'swimming/ floating' around the pan. I kept thinking, will it work or will it fail? I was practically over the moon when the cakes did rise. 

Although the cake is not sweet at all (I used 1 small banana then), my girl loves it. I probably try to make again the carrot / pumpkin cake, but with lesser quantity of ingredient and more baking soda.
My steamed cakes
Noticed I didn't line 2 of the aluminium foil. I am testing out whether is there any difference in steaming with or without cake liner. It seemed that there is not much difference in size.

I am still trying to figure out why the cake sort of sucken after it is taken out of the pan.

Note: do be careful when steaming this way, I had put too much water once and the boiled water went into the cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...