There are different versions in the net. Below are adapted from recipe books. Minimal steps is required and it is quite effortlessly done.
My hubby loves the White Honeycomb cake and requested that I do it again. I will do it next time as I had already finished my batch of rice flour playing with steaming different rice cake and radish cake.
Chinese White Honeycomb cake (Bak Tong Gou, 白糖糕)
Recipe adapted from Cake in Steam 蒸糕招 by Liu Fenglan 刘凤澜.!
- Mix rice flour and some water. Knead into soft dough.
- Add in 125ml water, castor sugar and yeast. Pour into the rice flour dough. Stir with a fork till everything looks dissolved. Filter the sediment away.
- Cover the bowl of watery mixture with a piece of wet cloth and let it rest for 6 hours.
- Set up the steamer. remove the cloth and steam for 30 minutes.
|Yeast mixture and rice flour dough|
|Mixture after resting for 6 hours|
Steamed Rice Cake (松糕 )
Recipe adapted from Magic Steamed Cake 蒸出蛋糕香 by Alex Goh 吴景发 .!
|Pour into mould 90% full|
- Mix all ingredient with a fork.
- Pour the batter and fill up cupcake liner 90% full
- Steam for about 25 minutes
If you like to have colouring, you may want to add some. I would recommend using natural food colouring/ juice obtain from food source. Mix them into the water and make up 110ml. Happy experimenting with natural food colourings. You may be surprise to see what you get!
|Saffron orange cake|
|Back: Purple sweet potato as colouring. Some what I think when mixed with vinegar turns green|
Linking up with:-