Red date or hongzao(红枣) in Chinese, nourishes the stomach, spleen and blood. Longan (龙眼 or 桂圆) is considered as a blood tonic, to nurture the heart and to improve skin condition. However, longan being a heaty fruit is best consume in moderation.
How about Longan Red Date cake? I have not heard of this before until I browse it through a recipe book. "Cake in Steam". I think probably it will be good to eat during confinement too?
|Cake in Steam 蒸糕招 by Liu Fenglan 刘凤澜.|
Steamed Longan Red Date Cake
Recipe adapted from Cake in Steam 蒸糕招 by Liu Fenglan 刘凤澜.!
- Soak the longans and dates.
- Beat sugar and egg until light and fluffy.
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking soda in a big bowl. I mixed by using a fork which I find it easier.
- Coarsely chop the dried longans and red dates. Mix them together with the flour. Reserve some for topping.
- Add in vinegar and olive oil to the egg and sugar mixture and mixed them together
- Add flour mixture into the egg mixture. Stir well.
- Pour the batter into cupcake liners and sprinkle some chopped dates and longans on top.
- Placed in preheat steamer and steam over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Test the cake with a skewer to see if it is done.